To celebrate Helvetica's 50th anniversary designers around the world created posters documenting an inspirational moment that happened within a year of Helvetica’s lifetime (1957-2007) creating a visual diary of Helvetica's existence.
I chose the election of Nelson Mandela (Madiba) as the first black President of South Africa. Focusing on the voters that year, the design is referential to the 62.6% moving forward with their vote for progression, growth and change (solid lines) and the other 37.4%, whose vote for other regimes is faded and left behind (dashed lines). The lines are derived from the geographic outline of South Africa and image of the lines of people waiting to cast their vote for the first time.
Freelance/Independent Contractor project